TechUP has one goal: to create a tech ecosystem that is representative of all people. We believe that a diverse and inclusive tech sector is stronger, smarter, and better. We leverage our networks across all underrepresented groups to bring diverse talent into the tech ecosystem, and connect candidates to opportunities to build impactful careers.
TechUP intentionally recruits women, people of color, LGBTQ individuals, veterans, and people who live with a disability. We seek front-end, back-end, full-stack, and mobile developers, engineering managers, UI/UX designers, hardware/embedded, data analysts and scientists, data security, IT, dev ops, QA engineers, project and product managers, marketers, technical support and sales, and more.
Speakers & Presenters
Founder & Executive Director, Blind Institute of Technology
CEO & Co-Founder, Skill Scout
VP of Brand & Design, Avant
Founder & CEO, Black Tech Mecca / AdTech Consultant, Google
VP Specialist – Information Security Engineer, Bank of America
Community Marketing Manager, Dev Bootcamp
Director, Software Engineering – Partnerships, Capital One
Creator, ImBlackInTech, Google/Code2040 Entrepreneur in Residence
Founder, CANDID Cupid Microfeedback, @ThomasKRStovall
5:00 pm – Doors open + Career Fair + Snacks & Drinks
5:10 pm – Free Professional Headshots (Brought to you by DevBootcamp)
In-person sign-up only.
5:10 pm – One-on-One Career Coaching (Brought to you by Startup Institute)
Meet with a team member from Startup Institute to focus on YOU. Reserve a 15-minute session at TechUP Chicago – and think about your strengths, perfect your pitch, or consider transition opportunities that could change your life. Tips, resources, and networks are the tools are our trade.
5:30 – 6:00 pm – Bootcamp Showcase
- Dev Bootcamp – @DevBootcamp
- Fullstack Academy – @Fullstack
- DESIGNATION Labs – @designationio
- The Mobile Makers Academy @mobilemakers
- The Starter League @StarterLeague
6:00 – 6:45 pm – Welcome + Lightning Tech Talks (Part I)
- Not your mama’s way of hiring: Why ‘experiential hiring’ is our necessary future // Elena Valentine, CEO & Co-Founder, Skill Scout
- How unconscious bias works (see it in real-time) // Mike Hess, Founder & Executive Director at Blind Institute of Technology
- How to STEAM up your career: Springboard your liberal arts degree into a career in hardware, ioT or wearables // Dima Elissa, CEO, Founder VisMed•3D
- Let your ‘Why’ fly: Finding a job and a community you love // Katy Erker-Lynch, Startup Institute Alumnus & now at ThinkCERCA
6:45 – Beverage Break + Snacks + Networking
7:00 – 7:40 pm – Lightning Tech Talks (Part II)
- Intentional Intersectionality: Why Unconscious Bias Can’t be the Only Answer // Leanne Pittsford, Founder & CEO, Lesbians Who Tech
- Chi-Raq is our grim reality–can Chi-Tech2.0 save our future? // Fabian Elliott, Founder & CEO, Black Tech Mecca
- The LGBT Ally Engagement Portal: Taking the Ally Program to a New Level // Leslie Henry, VP Specialist – Information Security Engineer, Bank of America
8:00 – 8:40 pm – Diversity Roundtable Discussion
The evening finale. First-hand stories from the techies we’ve been talking about: multi-lingual, multi-cultural, gender-diverse, queer-conscious and combat-tried professionals, techies of color (POCIT) and techies with physical disabilities or neurological diversities. How do the leadership styles of “diverse people” counterbalance and transform tech industry norms? Tech professionals and recruiters from minority groups weigh in on the power of being different.